Thursday, August 15, 2013

Honey Badger is Nine Months Old!

Nine months old.


How did that happen?  One day he's a helpless little blob that does very little aside from eating, sleeping, and pooping... then all of a sudden he's a boy.  He's crawling and hollering and sprouting teeth like crazy.  He smiles and coos and squeals with glee.  He's a wibble wobble walking beast.  Figuring things out and exploring have become hobbies that he is most passionate about.

And me?  I'm figuring things out too.  It's been a wild nine months of learning all sorts of things just a few minutes later than when they would have been handy.

The biggest lesson that I have encountered time and again is listening to and working with Honey Badger, not against him, will make life easier for both of us.  My Son does not understand or feel bound by societal rules the way that I have been conditioned to be.  Time holds no meaning to him.  He is very primal and driven by unencumbered senses and emotions.  It is not his job to make my life easy by adapting to "modern" life.  It is my job to accommodate him as he grows in understanding and emotional maturity.  To guide him, not to push him.

And so we continue to share our bed with him.  Setting up a sidecar situation with his crib.  This satisfies his instinctive need to sleep near his caregivers while also giving him a space of his own to sleep.  Having his own space is something he very much enjoys.  He rolls away from me frequently to sleep in his own little space for short periods of time through the night, crawling back for nursies and snuggles when he needs it.


We're enjoying solids a lot more recently.  I have been doing part-time Baby Led Weaning and part-time pureed foods.  I generally share a little bit of whatever I'm eating with him on a daily basis while Papa Bear gives him purees.  My little creature enjoys a wide variety of flavors from sweet fruit treats to savory hummus or chilli or peas. 

Breastfeeding an almost toddler has it's own set of challenges.  Sometimes he quietly focuses on nursing.  Most of his daytime nursing sessions are an acrobatic adventure.  He is quite skilled at alligator rolls whilst maintaining his latch.  Constantly his feet are up in my face and he can tumble foot first to the floor and continue nursing while standing in front of me.  His awareness of where the "nursies" are is fully developed and so we have a lot of tugging at the neckline of my shirt with his teeth, motorboating my cleavage, and booby grabbing when he needs his nursies.  It can be frustrating, but I would not give it up for any price.


We are still babywearing as well.  He spends a lot more time down and playing these days, but the easiest way to get him to take a great nap or get him to sleep for the night is to toss him up on my back and do some housework.  I have accumulated a variety of carriers at this point.  My favorites are podeagi and wraps due to their versatility and ability to accommodate newborns through toddlerhood.


I love this little Honey Badger that has entered my life.  He makes every day a bit more interesting that it could ever have been pre-motherhood.  He is loud and demanding with a mind of his own.  Exactly everything he should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment