Thursday, May 23, 2013

Flats Challenge Day Four

What are my thoughts on handwashing?

Handwashing isn't incredibly hard when you're doing such small amounts as daily.  It is still time consuming, though.  With a six-month old demanding your attention every five seconds even more so.   I've been feeling as though I have a lot less time in the morning.  I'm sure that with time and practice I could become more efficient.  I feel as though I'm gaining a small appreciation for the efforts of my ancestors.  The amount of work that would go into washing clothing for a large family by hand is a bit overwhelming.




My routine is cold soak with all diapers/covers/wipes in the bucket.  Then I separate into smaller loads and hot wash with soap, hot rinse, and cold rinse each load.  That is a lot of refilling the bucket and using my Mobile Breathing Washer.  The Washer pushes and pulls water through the fabric in the bucket and cleans very effectively.  


This morning there were only seven diapers to be washed along with four diaper covers and several wipes.  A prefold mysteriously ended up in my wash... later I found that my husband had grabbed a prefold accidentally during a crazy poopy incident.  The first load went smoothly, but I had to put Honey Badger up on my back for the second load and hanging them up.  He was very interested in what I was doing and practically crawling up my back to look over my shoulder.  Babywearing has become a lot more challenging as of late.

I think that one of my biggest concerns was how to handle nighttime diapering.  So far my fears were unfounded.  I've been doing a Boingo'd kite fold with a second flat padfolded as a doubler.  A little bulky?  Yes, but it keeps the sheets dry.




No comments:

Post a Comment