Saturday, May 25, 2013

Flats Challenge Day Six

Open topic today.

The almighty flat diaper!

I love my flats.

It really doesn't get much more minimalist than flats in covers, that is unless you do elimination communication.  There is no sizing, no elastic, no special care, etc.

I could have tidy looking white flats, flats dyed any which way I choose, or flats with nifty prints.

I could have a stash of flats for less than $10 by chopping up thrift shop xxl t-shirts and cotton sheets or I could spend $100+ on organic bamboo terry flats.  

My child will not grow out of them.  I my need to fold them differently and double them up as he grows, but they will last him until he is potty trained.

I can explore the many different folds and find the one fold that fits my son perfectly.  Absolute customization.

I can fasten them on with Pins or Snappis or Boingos.  Or I could just pad-fold them and lay in a cover when I'm not up for anything fancy.

Flats can be used as easy to clean stuffers for pocket diapers.

Flats are very trim.

Flats are much easier to hand-wash due to only have one layer of fabric.  They line-dry quickly.  Line-dried flats soften up easily with a little handling.

Flats are easy to get clean in the washing machine without having to do extra washes.  They dry very quickly in the dryer.  Energy efficiency is their game.

Every diapering parent should have flats in their emergency preparedness kit.

My flats will probably see two or more children through their diapering days and then be passed on to another family or find another use in my home.

I get a very Pioneer Woman / Little House on the Prairie / Tree-hugging Hippie vibe when I deviate from my normal pad-folding ways to fold a flat all fancy and pin it on my son.  I can hear my inner Earth Mother roaring... and I like it.






No comments:

Post a Comment