Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Flats Challenge Day Three

This morning was a really good start to my day for handwashing.  I still had three wash-bucket loads due to re-washing some of our camping diapers with the smokey smell to them.  We used ten diapers over the course of a day, two covers, and several wipes.  Washing at home where I can put my wash-bucket in the bathtub and not haul water was wonderful. 


I'm hanging them to dry in the nursery with a fan blowing on them.  I'm really fond of the way my tie dyed flats look all hanging together that way.  To soften them up after hanging dry, I give them a couple wringings as if I was trying to wring out water.

Honey Badger, who generally poops once a week, has pooped three times since I started this challenge.  It's like he's trying to make sure it's really a challenge. ;^)

It's open topic for bloggers today.

After washing my diapers, I feel a sense of accomplishment.  My muscles have been worked and the results are tangible.  It is similar to how I feel when I create something through knitting or sewing or embroidery, though not quite so fun.  I firmly believe that we are hard-wired to need physical work like that.  Physical work and tribal atmosphere.

The average person, living in a developed nation, spends far too much time sedentary and solitary.  We really should get up and get out.  Set aside our smartphones/tablets/computers/television and take a walk with friends.  Start community gardens and enjoy the harvest with our "tribe".  Set up freezer meal groups so that families can work together to lessen each others burdens. 

I can't pretend like I do any of these things. I'm just as lazy and technology addicted as the rest of the developed world.  I will be going back to using my washer and dryer after this challenge.  But I feel inspired, and that's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment