Sunday, May 26, 2013

Flays Challenge Day Seven



I made it!! One week of handwashing my Son's diapers!  I am glad to be going back to using my washer and dryer, though I feel that I may end up air drying my diapers from time to time to feel as though I'm saving a bit of energy.

How did it go?  It was  not hard, actually.  What was difficult was that, while it didn't take that long to wash and hang up diapers, it seemed to take a large chunk of time to manage to do just that.  My son required a nursing break halfway through washing almost everyday.  He also would holler for a variety of other offenses that needed Mommy fixing and was not very happy about being worn while I was washed most of the time (more movement than he is used to).  So the 20 minutes of washing would take about 45 minutes to an hour out of my day.  Time that is precious to me.  I suppose with time and practice we would workout the kinks and have a streamlined washing routine.

The sweat!  We try to keep our house warmer to save on utilities.  I was washing with hot water in a small bathroom with little ventilation.  Ick!  I felt all grimy after every wash.  Especially on the days that Honey Badger was okay to be worn on my back.  That's an easy fix though, I just didn't feel like setting up a fan every wash.

I feel like this is a valid option for the average family.  Once a routine is established it would not take much time at all.  Even if a family chose not to do cloth full-time, they would be able to save money on part-time cloth or have cloth as an option for tight months when disposables were not in the budget.  Camp-washers would be the method of washing that I would recommend.  I like to think that a camp-washer set up is really simple and can be easy to DIY.

No comments:

Post a Comment